Friday, October 3, 2008

Tracking the growth

I've started this blog, but I've never showcased myself...Though I'm a card carrying, dues paying, yearly convention attenting Attention Skank, it never crossed my mind that I needed to show pics of what I'm doing with my 'do...In all honesty, I'm not doing much, so I don't have any supa fly shots of my hair like I did during years 3 and 4. But now that I've started to track my growth, I've pulled out my digital camera and will start documenting my progress...and taking pics of my own styles...(Seems a little bogus to have a blog with not many pictures of what I'M doing)...Anyhoo, here's where my hair is thus far....

I used to pay more attention to the growth...Took comparison shots and everything, I don't know what happened...I fell off, man...

In spite of me, it's growing well. It's still not thick, but I've learned to accept that to SOME degree. One thing that I've been doing that I may stop doing (to see what happens) is trimming. I love to snip those ends, let me tell you...The last "good" trim I got was the day of my wedding, lol...That was over 3 months ago...I'm going to pay attention to my ends to see what happens...I'm also going to go ahead and start wearing protective styles...For me that means buns and updos as I can't maintain twists and such for longer than a few days and that makes me wanna fight considering ALL of the time it takes to get those suckers in...
I usually wear my hair "out" which isn't very good if you're trying to grow your hair. Wearing it out a lot dries it out just because it's subject to the elements. It requires EXTRA moisturization and attention...
The easiest thing about having my hair relaxer free is that I can wash (co-wash or poo wash) whenever I get good and ready...In the summer time, I usually get up in the morning, wash my hair in the shower and let it air dry on my way to work...Can you imagine how many people stop me and say..."Umm...Is your hair WET?" Me: Umm, yeah...Why? LOL...It's always from other African American women. It's a shame...for real, for real...Having natural hair has become so easy over the years. I don't have to "wrap" my hair EVERY night...plug in the curling iron or flat iron...Roll my hair at night...I just tie it down at night with a satin scarf, get up in the a.m., hit it with some concoction spritz and either go or clip it up. Because it's so easy, I'll admit I've gotten a bit lazy. I get up and just go "eh"...Luckily, I LOVE my hair, so I usually just let her "do what she does"...
Although it's really easy, I do have my own hair challenges. Because it's really fine, if I'm not careful, my styles can look a little "Beetle Juice-ish" LOL...Seriously...I'm constantly "Jujshing" (word I got from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) my hair to make volume and fullness...I bend at the waist and flip my hair over and squeeze my hair in my hands...That's the only thing that makes it as BIG and full as I want it...
I think that lengthwise, I'm happy with it...It could be longer without a doubt, but I haven't focused on length. I'm going to do that for the next 6 months or so just because I want to monitor it. Now that I've stopped coloring my hair, I've noticed that I don't have to condition as often (I was doing it twice a week) and I'm maintaining the length. I love to see hair color, but I don't forsee myself coloring as it takes waaaayyyy too much TLC for my nerves...Color treated hair takes A LOT more conditioning and moisturizing...
What am I using right now??? It's very simple. I'm washing with Curls Curlicious Curl Cleansing Cream, conditioning with Pantene Replenishing Mask, and following up with my "concoction", then adding my homemade hair butter at the end when the "concoction" is almost dry. My hair butter is 'licious...Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Rose Water, Castor Oil and Glycerine...All whipped up...I Poo wash every week. If and when I need to co-wash in between, I'll use Suave Humectant.
My piece of advice to new nappies or transitioners. Learn YOUR hair...Things that work for me, may not work for you, and vice versa. Take the time to pay attention to what your hair needs. There are no "holy grail" products, methods or styles. If I had a dollar for every time somebody made suggestions for how to make my twists last longer (for example) I'd be a dog gone Dollar-aire (LOL). I've learned to accept what MY hair will do...
Okay...that's enuff...
Stay tuned for another Nappy Showcase...One of my "Nappy" relatives, from Dallas will be gracing the blog VERY soon...
Peace!






6 comments:

TheDGDTraveler said...

ohhh Ree..
I just love your blog and you keep giving me inspiration. Now if I can just learn what some of these terms mean...like pre poo, co wash, etc ill be ok.....LOL

ChariseRaynee said...

Shoot! I need to make a glossary! More work!!! Boooo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ummm Ree, you KNOW inquiring minds will want to know the measurements for your 'licious hair butter dahling! TIA :)

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! It's soo good to see your lovely mane! You look so pretty in your profile pic. I miss your album. I answered your question in my guestbook and as well as in your guestbook. I'm honored you asked me. I'm saving your blog addy so I can stay tuned, you give great advice and you are hilarious!

Peace :)

Natitwists

Kendra said...

Looking good!

Clyde and Angela said...

Your hair is so pretty & healthy! You are truly inspiring!