Sunday, August 17, 2008

Controversy...

I'm about to start some...I suppose...I'm actually not controversial...I'm a lover not a fighter ;), but I always seem to "step in it" from time to time...

Anyhoo...There's something that I'm seeing more and more, and it's REALLY bothering me...

CHILDREN WITH EXTENSIONS AND PHONY PONYTAILS...
(I saw a few online pictures that I was going to link to this post, but thought against it.)

What are we teaching this new generation of children??? Are we teaching them that their hair is not good enough? I saw a little girl at Kroger yesterday with extensions to the middle of her back. They were gathered into a pony tail, and she couldn't have been older than 5. I was like, "Wow...Is combing hair that difficult?" I'm so not trying to oversimplify anything, as I don't have children, so I'm not sure of how difficult it is. I know we live in another time than when I was that age, but my mom ALWAYS combed my hair and put them in the little pig tails and that was it...The length was what it was...No extras...

With so many AA women struggling with their own identity, being bombarded by media's interpretation of beauty (that is NOT us), I feel like sometimes we can't win for losing. Compound that with decades of poor hair care and product offerings and hair style trends that have kept our hair short, broken off and generally unhealthy. Why put this pressure on these babies to have to live up to the Yakki???

Children shouldn't be wearing extensions, in my opinion...I think it's damaging their ability to accept themselves EXACTLY as God made them....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen Amen and Amen...
i hate to see this too!

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you. I think it is ok to clip in a fake pony for fun, but running around day to day, I don't think so.

This kid at my son's day care gets her braids done religiously every six weeks. What is so sad is that she is almost completely bald all the way around her edges!!! And the the hair is permed. I want to tell her mom to lay off. All the extras is why your baby is bald.